So, a while ago I blogged this about my experiments with pleating. Here’s the end results.
It’s actually been sitting in a pile of almost completed projects, waiting for buttons, for about 3 months. I finally went to put on the buttons on today but had to do a repair job first (more of which later).
In basic construction, it is totally seamless. I made the body in one piece to the armhole split, shaped the shoulders with short rows and did a three needle bind-off on the shoulders. From there, I picked up around the armholes and knit a short-row set-in sleeve cap, then knit the sleeves down from there. The decorative pleating on the front I’m fairly happy with – some more detail here
The red buttons, with the pleating on the front and the rich blue (Azul Profundo Malabrigo laceweight for those who want details) have a slight nautical feel.
Anyway, as I decided to take a quick five minutes to finally put the buttons on this morning, I noticed that, in the time it had been sat in the nearly done pile, bastard moths had been at it and chewed a nice hole next to the armhole. So, time for a little repair job. I used instructions on filling a hole in a vintage knitting book that I have. The hole was here
The repair has worked pretty well. Not totally invisible, but enough to hide the damage. In a way, the more annoying qualities of the malabrigo (it felts like a bugger as soon as you touch it) helped and the fabric does kind of hold its integrity around the hole that the little flying twunts made.
Another time I think I’d look at a different yarn choice – the malabrigo I suspect will not stand up to a lot of wear before felting further. We shall see. I will also have a bit of a look at making the pleated neckline into a proper collar on the cardigan.