I finally got around, just before Christmas, to making the variation on the Burberrish Cowl that I had visualised in my head. My hair is naturally very, very thick. Having had it cut in October into a Mary Quantish/Purdeyish (depending on length it has reached) number, I discovered this winter that very short hair on the back of the head makes for a very cold head. Also, that my current crop of hats didn’t really cover it all up. So, something needed to be done. I’d written the pattern for the Burberrish Cowl for Yusuf previously, and had pondered how to make it something that could cover the head as well. The answer came in the form of gradual increases to make a cowl that could be worn up as a hood as well as worn down as a standard cowl. Here it is.
Turned out splendidly. I used some lovely Fyberspates Scrumptious in the aran weight. This weight is plied rather than the single of some of the other weights, so it shows up the stitch definition beautifully, and the merino silk mix means is drapes really well. I finished this about 10 minutes before I needed to leave to go to Coventry for Christmas. Excellent timing as, halfway through the journey, we got kicked off our train when it broke down and ended up on a cold snowy station platform for almost an hour. With my hood, my elbow length alpaca mittens and some heat tech underlayers, I was toasty warm while others shivered.
At the same time I had the pictures above taken, I took the opportunity to make Daz pose in his new hat. Somehow I don’t think he was taking it particularly seriously.