Archive for the ‘baby’ Category

Presents

September 26, 2011

Yesterday, we took a trip to the seaside to visit Jenny and meet the baby. It’s been far too long since the six of us were all together in one place and it was a great day. There was an excess of cake, a brief spell of sunshine as we walked along the side of the beach, lots of laughs, some contemplation of whether the presentation of lots of knitted gifts in childhood would cause a later fear of knitted things and, of course, a very cute baby.

And there were presents.  We handed over the blanket we’d collaborated over and sewn together one afternoon in May on the South Bank (and lined by Amanda after we finished)

Louise gave her the fab little dog that she’d made.  And I finally got to hand over the bootees which I have been hiding for the last few months.

Two bootees, one face

I wanted to do something a little different to the traditional animal bootees you see. I got the idea for the bootees from a pair of Japanese socks I bought a while ago in Covent Garden. Those had a single panda face over the two socks and always make me smile when I know I’m wearing them.

The other big event was that we  planned a secret surprise for Amanda’s big birthday – a big basket of craft related presents. I made a case for a pair of good sewing scissors –

Grey felt, red embroidery. I’ve always loved the combination of red and grey. I’ve always thought of myself mostly as a knitter, but it seems these days that I sew more often than anything.

Advertisements

Getting the basics right

January 16, 2011

A little while ago, I found out that a knitting friend is expecting her first baby.  So, an idea for some new bootees came to my mind.  I’m not going to reveal any precise details yet but they are ones which will have a very specific requirement for the basic bootee – in that they need a longish flat front on them.  And it’s worth getting the basics right if the rest of the design is going to hold up on them.  So, I’ve been playing with some prototypes.

We have a knit flat base with short row shaping on the front

We have a second variation on this with a more defined sole and a different method for the short rows

We have one worked using sock type methods

I shall do a bit of decorating and ponder which works best.  I think the first two will probably stay on best, but the last one may be the better one for working the idea up into an adult slipper.

Pattern procrastination

September 23, 2010

Many knitters have a tendency towards startitis. For me, it seems ingrained.  I have an entire canvas shelf unit full of WIPs.  And it has now extended towards the patterns I’ve been writing.  So, here and now, I am outlining the patterns that I have half written up, or which need extra sizes making, or which need more test knitting to improve them to shame myself into finishing them.  If I look like I’m experimenting with anything else new and shiny before I write up at least one of these, I will need shouting at.

The patterns are –

DM Bootees – these were waiting around until I could find some resource to make different sizes. I don’t have access to any baby feet to measure on a day to day basis.  I have since found this and this so I have to get going on them again to make the different sizes.  I also want to do something different with the back since I’ve seen the original pair  modelled.

Convertible mittens – these are the mittens with the flip-top hands and thumbs. I made elbow length ones as part of the Ravelympics, but now I want to make a shorter, simpler version in a heavier weight wool. I have bought some lovely Malabrigo worsted for this very purpose this evening.

Hourglass cable hat – the cable motif is the same as on the original convertible mittens, but at a much larger scale, due to the thickness of the yarn.  I’ve made one. I need to finish off the refined version and hand the pattern over to the test knitter.

Simple cable rib hat – see this swatch?

It did actually turn into a complete hat shortly after I made it.  Not entirely happy with the working of the crown, so it needs some refinements. But it’s very nearly there.

Pleated wrap top – this is my current project.  And it’s going quite well.  All the notes are in the notebook.  I must make the commitment to write it up properly this time.

Turning Saartjes Bootees into Strawberries.

August 15, 2010

This is an old project (made for my nephew who is now 2 1/2 years old), but one which people keep asking about.  I had found the popular Saartjes Bootees pattern on the free knitting and crochet patterns group in Flickr some time before (in the time before Ravelry became my main source of searching for patterns) and wanted to do something with them.  So, I decided to turn them into strawberries.

These are the modifications that I made.

1 – The bootees are made in red to row 23 (small size) or 25 (larger size) and then cast off.

2 – Seeds are sewn on using yellow embroidery cotton.

3 – Leaf straps are made using the pattern below and sewn onto the bootees. The leaf straps are fastened using press studs.

Pattern for leaf strap

Leaf 1

Cast on 2 stitches

Row 1: purl

Row 2: k1, m1, k1 (3 stitches)

Row 3: purl across

Row 4: k1, m1r, k1, m1l, k1 (5 stitches)

Row 5: purl

Row 6: knit

Row 7: purl

Row 8: ssk, k1, k2tog (3 stitches)

Row 9: purl

Strap

knit in stocking stitch until strap is long enough to be able to go around the back of the bootee and cross over in front, as shown in the picture.

Leaf 2

Row 1: k1, m1r, k1, m1l, k1 (5 stitches)

Row 2: purl

Row 3: knit

Row 4: purl

Row 5: ssk, k1, k2tog (3 stitches)

Row 6: purl

Row 7: k3tog


%d bloggers like this: