Archive for January, 2011

Getting the basics right

January 16, 2011

A little while ago, I found out that a knitting friend is expecting her first baby.  So, an idea for some new bootees came to my mind.  I’m not going to reveal any precise details yet but they are ones which will have a very specific requirement for the basic bootee – in that they need a longish flat front on them.  And it’s worth getting the basics right if the rest of the design is going to hold up on them.  So, I’ve been playing with some prototypes.

We have a knit flat base with short row shaping on the front

We have a second variation on this with a more defined sole and a different method for the short rows

We have one worked using sock type methods

I shall do a bit of decorating and ponder which works best.  I think the first two will probably stay on best, but the last one may be the better one for working the idea up into an adult slipper.

Doing a bit of good

January 16, 2011

Back in November, I posted my pattern for toy soldier Christmas decorations.  Very shortly afterward, I was contacted by Lilibet on Ravelry, who had made some soldiers from the pattern. These are hers.

She was even inspired to make some fairies using the same principles, and writes about it here.

She’d contacted me because she wanted to make more of the soldiers to raise money for a Crohns and Colitis charity and for her local hospital as the daughter of her LYS has suffered very badly (far worse than my own case of the disease).  Crohns disease and Ulcerative Colitis aren’t glamour diseases that attract attention from the media.  They don’t often kill, but they do sometimes knock you sideways and feel like they are taking a bit of your life away from you, and it upset me quite a lot to hear about such a young girl going through such a severe attack. So, bloody well done to Lilibet for her fundraising work.  She managed to raise over £250 for the charity and a raffle raised another £150 for the hospital. Excellent effort all round, I think.

 

Burberrish Hood

January 3, 2011

I finally got around, just before Christmas, to making the variation on the Burberrish Cowl that I had visualised in my head.  My hair is naturally very, very thick. Having had it cut in October into a Mary Quantish/Purdeyish (depending on length it has reached) number, I discovered this winter that very short hair on the back of the head makes for a very cold head.  Also, that my current crop of hats didn’t really cover it all up. So, something needed to be done.  I’d written the pattern for the Burberrish Cowl for Yusuf previously, and had pondered how to make it something that could cover the head as well.  The answer came in the form of gradual increases to make a cowl that could be worn up as a hood as well as worn down as a standard cowl.  Here it is.

Turned out splendidly. I used some lovely Fyberspates Scrumptious in the aran weight. This weight is plied rather than the single of some of the other weights, so it shows up the stitch definition beautifully, and the merino silk mix means is drapes really well.  I finished this about 10 minutes before I needed to leave to go to Coventry for Christmas. Excellent timing as, halfway through the journey, we got kicked off our train when it broke down and ended up on a cold snowy station platform for almost an hour. With my hood, my elbow length alpaca mittens and some heat tech underlayers, I was toasty warm while others shivered.

At the same time I had the pictures above taken, I took the opportunity to make Daz pose in his new hat.  Somehow I don’t think he was taking it particularly seriously.


%d bloggers like this: