This is an old project (made for my nephew who is now 2 1/2 years old), but one which people keep asking about. I had found the popular Saartjes Bootees pattern on the free knitting and crochet patterns group in Flickr some time before (in the time before Ravelry became my main source of searching for patterns) and wanted to do something with them. So, I decided to turn them into strawberries.
These are the modifications that I made.
1 – The bootees are made in red to row 23 (small size) or 25 (larger size) and then cast off.
2 – Seeds are sewn on using yellow embroidery cotton.
3 – Leaf straps are made using the pattern below and sewn onto the bootees. The leaf straps are fastened using press studs.
Pattern for leaf strap
Cast on 2 stitches
Row 1: purl
Row 2: k1, m1, k1 (3 stitches)
Row 3: purl across
Row 4: k1, m1r, k1, m1l, k1 (5 stitches)
Row 5: purl
Row 6: knit
Row 7: purl
Row 8: ssk, k1, k2tog (3 stitches)
Row 9: purl
knit in stocking stitch until strap is long enough to be able to go around the back of the bootee and cross over in front, as shown in the picture.
Row 1: k1, m1r, k1, m1l, k1 (5 stitches)
Row 2: purl
Row 3: knit
Row 4: purl
Row 5: ssk, k1, k2tog (3 stitches)
Row 6: purl
Row 7: k3tog